9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 17, 2016 10:35 AM by hsmith

284th Engineer Combat Battalion

Hi, I am looking for photos, general orders, or really anything on the 284th. What would be the best place to look for these things? Thanks.

• Re: 284th Engineer Combat Battalion
          Thomas Richardson Tracker

Hello Heather,

Thank you for your question on History Hub! There are some collections on the 284th Engineer Combat Battalion housed with the US Army War College in Carlisle, PA, with the US Army Heritage Center.  The information within the collections include unit reports, after action reports, and civilian affiliations.  This a fairly large collection that is not limited to just World War II, but also the Korean War, Vietnam, and the Persian Gulf.  If there is a specific time period you are researching, this collection is broad enough to get you started.

U.S. Army War College Library

For some introductory reading, there is a book entitled, Silent Heroes: The Story of the 284th Engineer Combat Battalion during World War IIIt follows the history of the 284th from its basic training to its European operations, particularly focusing on the Battle of Remagen and their attachment with Patton's Third Army.

The 284th also has their own website that contains several primary sources, such as unit histories, maps, travel documents, after action reports, monthly reports, and some films tracing their campaign involvement. This site also only focuses on their actions in World War II. 

284th Home Page

Hopefully this gets you off to a good start. Thanks again for using the History Hub!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Adventurer

Are you just looking at WWII era stuff? I've always had great luck with these books published by the Army and are online.

U.S. Army in World War II Series - U.S. Army Center of Military History

The Eisenhower Library has some WWII stuff from the African/European campaign too I think, might shoot them an email.

Megan Dwyre Adventurer

At the Textual Reference Archives II Branch (RDT2) at the National Archives at College Park, MD, we have custody of several series of U.S. Army unit records, including records for World War I, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. We have relatively few records for units for the interwar periods, but we do have some. Is there a specific time period you are interested in?

Megan, I have been communicated with the man who wrote the book on the 284th for the veterans are both searching for more information. He has come the the college park location and found after action reports. He was wondering if we could find General orders. Do you know anything about that?

Megan Dwyre Adventurer

Hi Heather,

We searched the World War II unit records (Record Group 407, Entry 427) and located general orders for the 284th Engineer Combat Battalion (file nos. ENBN-284-1.13). One folder includes general orders for 1943-1944, and another folder contains general orders for 1945. There may be gaps, as our sets of general orders are not always complete. If you would like to order copies of the entire files or a specific general order, you can email archives2reference@nara.gov. Make sure to include your full mailing address. Or, we would be happy to make them available in our research room if you or your colleague are able to visit.

1 of 1 people found this helpful