1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2021 9:20 AM by Shane Bell

Information on my 5th Great Grandfather Ulirch Harnly

John Harnly Wayfarer

I have a 1903 booklet on the Harnly family which provides some information on my 5th Great Paternal Grandfather, Ulrich Harnly (*). It indicates that he left Germany Schweiz, or Switzerland, then a province of Germany, reached America Sept. 26, 1737. Settled in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania in 1759, two miles north of Manheim. Looking for any documentation that might support/add to this limited information.

(*) Harnly is the current spelling but there could be multiple spellings - Harnley, Hernely, Hernley ... you get the idea.

• Re: Information on my 5th Great Grandfather Ulirch Harnly
          Shane Bell Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Harnly,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

We suggest that you review NARA’s "Resources for Genealogists" page: https://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/start-research/nara-resources , as well as the History Hub Blog titled Suggestions and Advice for Family History Researchers. Also, the FamilySearch Research wiki for United States Genealogy may be useful.

Since the time period you're inquiring about is prior to the formation of the United States, many of the colonial records from the era are maintained by state governments rather than the federal government.  You might try contacting the county seat in Lancaster County, PA to inquire about pre-federal records from the area.  Additionally, the Pennsylvania State Archives may be of assistance: https://www.phmc.pa.gov/Archives/Pages/default.aspx

Best of luck with your research!

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from National Archives. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

1 person found this helpful