2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2021 4:11 PM by Matthew Stamm

Seeking records of Camp Phillips, KS

Matthew Stamm Newbie

I am looking for construction plans for Camp Phillips that was built in the early 1940's near Smolan, Kansas. I am attempting to draw the Camp as it was in GIS to show how it would lay on the current landscape. I would like plans so then I can draw stuff like roads, buildings, utilities and such.

• Re: Seeking records of Camp Phillips, KS
          Rachael Salyer Tracker

Dear Mr. Stamm,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located one file for Camp Phillips in the series Construction Completion Reports, 1917-1944 in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Engineers (Record Group 77). These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to and information about these records.

The series Published Topographic Maps, 1942-1972 in Record Group 77 also contains one file related to Camp Phillips that may be of interest to you. These records have not been digitized. You may contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov for assistance with these and similar records.

We also located 5 additional files related to Camp Phillips in the Records of the Office of the Provost Marshal General (Record Group 389), 3 files related to Camp Phillips in the Records of Headquarters Army Ground Forces (Record Group 337), and 4 files related to Camp Phillips in the Records of the General Services Administration (Record Group 269) that may be useful for your research. These records have not been digitized. You may contact RDT2 with any questions you might have about them.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RDSC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!