1 Reply Latest reply on May 13, 2021 2:18 PM by Eric Kilgore

Seeking status of NPRC Navy File Request

Douglas Clemens Newbie

Hello, I made an on-line request for a relative's 1944 Naval Records approximately 10 months ago which by now I believe are public record.  I have mailed the written signature required twice as it shows up on-line as waiting for authorization signature.  I realize things have been delayed due to COVID but I'm wondering when things will start being caught up on?

• Re: Seeking status of NPRC Navy File Request
          Eric Kilgore Adventurer

Dear Douglas Clemens,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

Under normal circumstances, you are most welcome to request a copy of your relative's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).  The Official Military Personnel Files are in the custody of the National Personnel Record Center / National Archives at St. Louis.  However, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, and our limited workforce, we are prioritizing requests from veterans and their families for medical emergencies, final military honors, and other essential benefits.  Currently, there is a substantial backlog of routine requests, in addition to the emergency requests awaiting response.  While it is still unknown how soon we will able to resume responding to routine requests,  the National Personnel Record Center is working hard and taking an aggressive approach to decreasing response times and eliminating the backlog.  Please understand, that your request will be placed into a queue for non-emergency requests until such time as we are able to process it.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RRPO (The National Archives at St. Louis). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!