1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2021 4:42 PM by Lyn Rowe

Seeking documentation about Franklin Nickerson's Purple Heart

stephen nickerson Newbie

Family history says my dad earned a Purple Heart.   He was in sick pay injured for 2 weeks.   How do I confirm this and how do I get a medal for him?  His name is Franklin B. Nickerson, ID#606-08-52.  He was on the USS San Diego CL-53, from  1941 through 1945 in the Pacific for 4 years.  I requested his military records from another source, but did not receive his medical records or documentation that he earned a purple heart.  Your help would be appreciated!

• Re: Seeking documentation about Franklin Nickerson's Purple Heart
          Lyn Rowe Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Nickerson,

Thank you for posting your request on the History Hub!

Military personnel records can be found at the National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. Types of services they can assist you with is obtaining a serviceman/woman’s DD 214/ Separation Documents, Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), Replacement Medals and Medical/Health Records. There are a number of ways you can submit a request and instructions can be found at: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records. When requesting more than one type of record/service you will need to submit a separate requests for each type of record/service.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC has been closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC has increased its onsite staffing to 25% but will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Additionally, if your father was in the US Navy you may also be interested in the Index of Purple Heart Award Recipients, 1942 – 1950 (RG 24, NAID 6424319) https://catalog.archives.gov/id/6424319 for more information please contact the National Archives at College Park at: Archives2Reference@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful.