3 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2021 10:15 AM by Rachael Salyer

    Seeking OSS records about Byron Goss


      Byron C. Goss was inducted into the OSS on April 27, 1942, but I can't find any records about his service or even when it ended. He was a munitions expert, especially in gas warfare. Do you have any records I can access? Thanks!

        • Re: Seeking OSS records about Byron Goss
          Lyn Rowe Wayfarer

          Dear Ms. Burkhalter,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Personnel Files of the Office of Strategic Services, 1942 - ca. 1962 in the “Records of the Office of Strategic Services” (Record Group 226). Some of this series has been digitized and is available via the National Archives Catalog. For more information about the non-digitized lists, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          The National Archives website also provides two informative pages with additional information and resources at: https://www.archives.gov/iwg/declassified-records/rg-226-oss/personnel.html -and- https://www.archives.gov/research/military/ww2/oss/personnel-files.html.


          We hope this information is helpful.

          • Re: Seeking OSS records about Byron Goss
            Joshua Mason Adventurer

            Good afternoon,


            Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


            Additionally, you can find OSS/CIA personnel records after 1946, by writing to the Information and Privacy Coordinator Central Intelligence Agency, Washington, D.C. 20505.  When requesting records on an individual other than yourself, please request access to the file under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and provide the following for the CIA to conduct an effective search: Provide a reasonable description of the record(s) requested, provide your full name and address, provide a statement about your fee category and your willingness to pay applicable fees, and requests must be submitted in English.  The CIA will charge a search fee regardless of the results.  For more information on how to submit a FOIA request, please refer to the CIA website.


            The documents you seek may be available via CREST (CIA Records Search Tool). Information concerning CREST is provided on the CIA website.


            We hope this information is helpful and best of luck with your research!

            • Re: Seeking OSS records about Byron Goss
              Rachael Salyer Ranger

              Dear Ms. Burkhalter,


              We located some additional information in one of our OSS finding aids that is not available online that may be helpful for your research. According to the OSS Personal Name Index, there are two files related to “Goss, Byron” in the series Central Files, 1941-1946 in Record Group 226. They can be found in entry 092A, box 48, folder 791 and in entry 092, box 457, folder 14. These records have not been digitized. For access to and information about them, please contact RDT2 at archives2reference@nara.gov.


              Also, if you have not done so already, you may wish to request a copy of Byron C. Goss’ Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


              Again, we hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your ongoing research!