1 Reply Latest reply on May 11, 2021 11:26 AM by Tracy Skrabut

What happened to my property back in the early 1900s?

A F Newbie

A friend of mine has a property and many neighbors have to my friend that a slave plantation used to be across their property and there also used to be a small convenience store on my friend's property. Is there a way for my friend to search what happened on their property back in the 1900s? Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Re: What happened to my property back in the early 1900s?
          Tracy Skrabut Adventurer

Dear A F,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In regards to researching the possibility of the land being utilized as a plantation which held slaves, we would advise reaching out to the local register of deeds to inquire if they hold deeds for the time period in question. If slaves were indeed used on the land, they would have been listed as property in the records of deeds. Given the age of the records, the current register of deeds may no longer hold these records, in which case, we would advise reaching out to a local or state archive to see if they hold these historical documents. Many states, particularly in the south, where slavery was utilized, did conduct census for tax purposes. Many southern states listed each estate with the property and the value assigned to them.

In regards to whether there was a business on that property, we might advise reaching out to a local or city archive as well, to ascertain whether or not they hold records of businesses registered on that land or in that area. You may also wish to reach out to the City Hall which oversees the records of the area you are researching, as they may be better able to direct you to where to local business records for the property.

Finally, we might direct you to the 1850 and 1860 Slave Schedules which have been digitized online. Links for these schedules can be found here:

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/United_States_Census_Slave_Schedules

I hope this is helpful for your research!