1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2021 11:40 AM by Katherine Stinson

Seeking USS Forrest DD-461 (DMS-24) Deck Logs, ship & crew records/historical information

Joseph Smith Newbie

Greetings:

I am looking for any and all records, photographs, information, and history associated with ship and its crew member's of  the World War 2 era Gleaves-class destroyer, the USS Forrest DD-461 (later re-designated DMS-24 Nov1944).  I would like to search for any additional ship photo's that might be available as well as the Deck Logs. I have access to the War Diary reports and Muster Roll records on Ancestry/Fold3.  So far, I have looked up brief biographical information on Ancestry for each crew member which thus far totals 981 officer's and sailors who were assigned to the ship from January 13th 1942 to its de-commissioning on November 30th 1945.  I am also interesting in any historical records related to any member of its former crew.

(I do not have any records of who was assigned to the pre-commissioning crew in 1941; excepting the OIC who was LT Schlesinger.  How can I obtain that roster if its exists?).

I greatly appreciate any advice, tips and comments to further enable and expand my research. Thank you very much.  V/r JS