3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2021 12:13 AM by Claire Kluskens

Missing 1940 census sheets--East Franklin, Armstrong, PA

Stephen Schall Newbie

In the microfilm of the 1940 census (accessed on Ancestry.com) for East Franklin, Armstrong County, PA, my ancestors--who I know lived in the Pine Hill neighborhood--are missing (along with other relatives that I know were their neighbors). The Pine Hill neighborhood only runs from pp 9A-10A. Based on the numbers of entries for others areas of the township (where I grew up), I believe much of Pine Hill was either missed, or perhaps not photographed. While there doesn't seem to be a jump in pagination in the area marked for Pine Hill, there is a gap in pagination from 16B to page 61A. I'm wondering if it's possible that the rest of the Pine Hill residents were entered at a later date and are found within those missing pages?

I have tried contacting the NA about this issue with no success. Is there someone who can check the original?

• Re: Missing 1940 census sheets--East Franklin, Armstrong, PA
          Stephen Schall Newbie

BTW: I was just reviewing some old emails about this. NA says they don’t have the 1940 census; the Census Bureau does.I submitted two different requests to the Census Bureau. I received two replies stating the case was resolved but there was no resolution stated. 

Carey Stumm Adventurer

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Sorry you haven’t received a response from the National Archives and Records Administration about the 1940 census record. We have suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Any orders placed will not be serviced until such time that operations can resume safely. We apologize for any inconvenience. Once operations resume your document reproduction request will be serviced in the order it was received. Customer service representatives are available to answer questions regarding orders currently in our system at  trustfundsupport@nara.gov.

In the meantime, there’s quite a bit of useful information about the 1940 census on our website here and we have the census available on our site here. As you mentioned, it’s possible that the neighborhood was missed in the original census, but it may also be that the pages were microfilmed out of order and you need to do some additional digging to find those pages. There are some great outside resources other than Ancestry for searching census records such as stevemorse.com and familysearch. Also, if you’re comfortable sharing the names of the people you are searching for on here, we may be able to do a search and be a second pair of eyes for you.

We hope this information is helpful.

Claire Kluskens Adventurer

The jump in pagination from 16B to 61A doesn't mean pages were skipped.  The instructions to 1940 census enumerators ( https://www.archives.gov/files/research/census/1940/instructions-to-enumerators.pdf  ) on page 4 indicate that "The sheet (or sheets) of the Population Schedule used for households and persons enumerated out of order is to be numbered 61 (62, 63, etc.), and is to be placed following the schedules for persons enumerated in regular order...."  So, people enumerated in order are on pages 1 to x, and those who were enumerated out of order (not at home when the enumerator came by the first time, perhaps? - are on page 61 and up.

I don't know anything about Pine Hill but there is a possibility it was in more than one enumeration district.  East Franklin was divided in two enumeration districts: 

ED 3-18 - EAST FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP OUTSIDE APPLEWOLD AND WEST KITTANNING BOROUGHS E OF STATE HIGHWAY 268 AND STATE HIGHWAY 28, BRIDGEBURG, COWAN (PART), COWANSVILLE (PART), MONTGOMERYVILLE, TARRTOWN, WEST MOSGROVE

ED 3-19 - EAST FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP W OF STATE HIGHWAY 268 AND STATE HIGHWAY 28, COWAN (PART), COWANSVILLE (PART), WALKCHALK

ED 3-5 - APPLEWOLD BOROUGH

ED 3-72 - WEST KITTANNING BOROUGH

The National Archives has the 1940 census.  NARA received it on microfilm from the Bureau of the Census.  NARA released the census digitally on the 1940 census website, https://1940census.archives.gov/index.asp , as well as in our online Catalog here: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/16660414. 

1 person found this helpful