9 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2021 7:59 PM by Mary Brown

Seeking immigration records of Ferdinand Mannocci

Mary Brown Wayfarer

Apparently he arrived in the USA in 1871.  He is an ancestor of mine.  I would like to learn any more information about him.

• Re: Seeking immigration records of Ferdinand Mannocci
          Carey Stumm Adventurer

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub.

The National Archives has the Customs Passenger Lists from 1820-1897 for various ports listed here. We also have a list of our immigration resources here. One of the easiest ways to find your ancestor in the passenger lists is to use some of the online indexes. Most of the indexes are available on Ancestry. Ancestry does require a subscription, but many public libraries offer free access with your library card. There are some free online indexes for the different ports. For example, if he arrived in New York, you can search the Castle Garden Index.

Family Search has the 1820-1897 passenger lists available online for free. Not all of the records on there have been indexed though and may require some browsing.

The National Archives also has some additional resources related to immigration for this time period:

Access to Archival Databases (AAD)

• Data Files Relating to the Immigration of Russians to the United States, documenting the period 1834 - 1897
          • Records for Passengers Who Arrived at the Port of New York During the Irish Famine, documenting the period 1/12/1846 - 12/31/1851
          • Data Files Relating to the Immigration of Germans to the United States, documenting the period 1850 - 1897
          • Data Files Relating to the Immigration of Italians to the United States, documenting the period 1855 - 1900

Created by the Center for Immigration Research at the Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies, these listings of primarily Russian, Irish, German, and Italian immigrants who came to New York during certain periods in the mid to late 1800s are searchable through NARA's online catalog Access to Archival Databases (AAD).

In the AAD main page, under Browse by Category, under Genealogy/Personal History, select Passenger Lists.

There is also a wonderful page of international resources made available by a genealogy group here.

We hope this information is helpful. Good luck with your research!

Sylvia W Scout

Mary,

If you would like us to help search for this specific person, you will need to give us at least a few more details so we can actually find this guy e.g. birth details (approx birth year, place/state/country of birth etc), residence location(s), details of family members (wife, children, parents etc). And, how do you know that he would have immigrated abt 1871?

At the moment I can only find someone from Italy who lived in Louisiana and Mississippi, but he was already in the USA by 1857, so apparently it can't be him.

rgds Sylvia

Sylvia W Scout

As per my previous reply, 1871 might not have been the year of his international arrival ...

I believe that 26 Oct 1871 is the date of his Declaration (reg Naturalization) in Adams cty, Mississippi.

Mary Brown Wayfarer

Many thanks for your helpful responses.  You're right.  It looks like Ferdinand Mannocci was already in New Orleans.  This is all I know so far:  My grandmother was Marie Mannoccir.  In the California census for 1910, her father is Ferdinand D Mannoccir, born in Louisiana in 1859.  The 1860 census for New Orleans has a 3-year old Ferdinand, who could well be my grandmother's father.  He is the son of Ferdinand Mannocce (probably a misspelling), 35 yrs old, born in Perugia.  He also has a 1-year-old brother called David.  According to that census, his mother is Marie, born in Ireland.  The New Orleans birth records show a Fernando Manucci, born 1st Sept 1857 to father Fernando Manucci and mother Mary Murphy.  There's also a New Orleans birth record for David Mannoce, born 9th Dec 1858 to father Ferdinando Mannocce and mother Mary Murphy.  Apart from the altered name spellings it seems to fit with 1860 census.  I searched for Ferdinand Mannocce in the 1880 census and got what sounded very like him in Mississippi, Adams County, Natchez, except that David and Marie (or Mary Murphy) were not there.  There was Ferd Manoci, age 55, born Italy Rome (single!), and Ferd  Manoci, his son age 22, born Louisiana, also a Mary Taylor keeping house born in Alabama.  Strangely different but the same.  It's very confusing.  In the Mississippi, County Adams Marriage Index there is a record of Ferd D. Manoci marrying C. S. Grillo on 12 Nov 1885.  These must be my grandmother's parents because my grandmother's mother was called Corinne, and her maiden name was Grillo.

What I really want to know is why they added the 'r' to the end of Mannocci.  My birth certificate has MannocciR.  I was told that the 'r' stood for Roncidelle or Roncadelli, and I see that my grandmother's sister Beatrice and her mother Corinne added that to their name in later years (1930s and 40s) but nowhere can I see real evidence of this Roncadelle connection.

Thank you so much again for your interest and help.