2 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2021 2:09 PM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking WWI military records for Albert Turlington

    Brenda Rhiner Newbie

      Found the registration card for WWI for my grandfather, Albert Franklin Turlington.  Would like to find out if he was in the service. Thanks,

        • Re: Seeking WWI military records for Albert Turlington
          Jason Atkinson Guide

          Dear Ms. Rhiner,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Unfortunately, there is no comprehensive listing of all persons that served in the military for World War I or any other war. The World War I draft registrations cards only indicate that a person registered for the draft.  They do not indicate that a person served.  Not all those that registered were drafted, and not all those that served in the military did so because they were drafted.


          If he served, there should have been an Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) created for him. OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by these forms that you do not know you may leave it blank or provide estimates (such as writing “World War I” for service dates), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file if it exists and if it was not destroyed by the fire. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Classification Lists, 1917 - 1918 in Record Group 163 showing movement of each World War I draft registrant through the induction process. The records cover every state within the United States. Each entry shows the registrants' order number, name, race, serial number, classification, physical examination information, date to report for military duty and entrainment to the mobilization camp, and the date he was accepted, rejected, discharged, or reported delinquent. These records do not include information about those that voluntarily enlisted in the armed forces. These records are not available online. For more information, please contact the National Archives at Atlanta (RE-AT) at atlanta.archives@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-AT. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Another resource that can be sometimes be used to identify military service is the Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File. This index contains birth and death dates for more than 14 million veterans and VA beneficiaries who died between the years 1850 and 2010. The BIRLS Death File is a Veterans Benefits Administration database that lists information for deceased individuals who had received benefits from the Veterans Administration while they were alive. If an individual did not receive benefits from the VA, and/or his death was not reported to the VA, his information would not be included in this database. The database can be accessed, with paid subscription, on Ancestry and Fold3. Ancestry and Fold3 also have a number of additional name searchable databases documenting military service. Some libraries provide free access to these databases for their patrons.


          Some veterans registered with their discharge information with their county court or registered with their state for the purpose of receiving state and local veterans benefits. You may wish to contact the county where he resided after the war, as well as the state archives and the state agency is responsible for veteran services where he lived.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

          • Re: Seeking WWI military records for Albert Turlington
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Here is some information below WW1 draft card. Here is where he is buried. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/133078249/albert-franklin-turlington


            I'm not sure if he was in WW1 overseas he may have had training but the war ended in 11/1918 and he registered for the draft on 9/1918 two months before end of war. He may have served in for a Depot unit, on a base somewhere unit discharge.


            Here is some other family that served WW1


            Benjamin Turlington:



            1 person found this helpful