1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2021 2:47 PM by Rachael Salyer

    How much did Lemuel Holsclaw receive from World War Adjusted Compensation Act


      My relative, Lemuel Holsclaw, b 2/2/1889 in Nobob, KY, joined the US army on 4/11/1917 in Quincy, CA.  He was discharged on either 13/3/1919 or 13/8/1919.  How do I find out if and how much, and when he received money under the World War Adjusted Compensation Act - "Bonus Act"?

        • Re: How much did Lemuel Holsclaw receive from World War Adjusted Compensation Act
          Rachael Salyer Ranger

          Dear Mr. Willer,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Veterans Administration Master Index, 1917-9/16/1940? in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15), which is a card index for each veteran who had insurance applications, conversions, veterans who had filed claims with their agency, and veterans who were paid a WWI bonus. Most of these records have not been digitized. For access to and information about these records, please contact the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          We also located the series Class 17 (War Risk Insurance) Litigation Files and Enclosures, 1924-1977 in the General Records of the Department of Justice (Record Group 60) that may be of interest to you as it consists of litigation case files and enclosures relating to war risk insurance claims filed by veterans or their widows, heirs, or representatives in accordance with the War Risk Insurance Act, the World War Veterans Act, or the World War Adjusted Compensation Act. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for assistance with these records.


          You may also be interested in this description of the Personnel Records Division's Adjusted Compensation Branch, which responsible carrying out the provisions of the World War Adjusted Compensation Act of May 15, 1924, and which created the series Daily Production Reports Regarding Applications from Veterans for Compensation Under the Adjusted Compensation Act, 7/1924-8/1942 in the Records of the Adjutant General’s Office (Record Group 407). These records have not been digitized. You may contact RDT2 with any questions you might have about them.


          Finally, if you have not done so already, we suggest that you request a copy of Lemuel Holsclaw’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL and RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels.  Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your family research!