1 Reply Latest reply on May 10, 2021 12:10 PM by Legislative Archives

Looking for information about Hilliard A. Bostic

Marilyn Gilmore Newbie

My grandfather, Hilliard A. Bostic, of Fort Motte, South Carolina, testified in a 1896 Senate Election Fraud investigation.  I would like to read his testimony.

• Re: Looking for information about Hilliard A. Bostic
          Legislative Archives Scout

Hi Marilyn -- thank you for posting to History Hub!

To dig into your question, I started by searching both the Congressional Record, which is the official record of proceedings and debate on the floor of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate, and ProQuest Congressional, which is a subscription database with the full text of the Serial Set.

I didn't find any mention of Hilliard A. Bostic in relation to a Senate investigation -- but in the 54th Congress (1895-1897) the Senate Committee on Privileges and Elections was focused on investigating election cases in Delaware and Alabama, not South Carolina.

However I did find that the House Committee on Elections No. 3 investigated a number of contested election cases from South Carolina. In ProQuest Congressional, I found House Report No. 1229, 54th Congress, a report published on April 13, 1896 by the Committee on Elections No. 3 on case of Thomas B. Johnston vs. J. William Stokes.

On pages 92-94 of the report there's a question and answer session printed with Hilliard Bostick, a 40 year old farmer who served as precinct chairman of the Republican Party for the Fort Motte precinct. Below I took screenshots of the relevant sections of the report:

If you'd like to see the entire House report I reference above, you can check to see if ProQuest Congressional is available at a local academic or law library, or you're also welcome to email us directly at legislative.archives@nara.gov.

Cheers!

Sarah

3 people found this helpful