23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2021 4:02 PM by Theresa Vennie

Who was my 2nd great grandmother Rebecca Jane Barr's mother?

Theresa Vennie Adventurer

My 2nd great grandmother Rebecca Jane Barr, was born in the Grand Bahamas.  I was able to find her father listed on the death certificate by the name of Johnny Barr but no have no information on her mother. Rebecca was born about 1866 in the Grand Bahamas and died 30 Oct 1955, in Delray Beach, Palm Beach, Florida.  She married Jacob Smith 09 May 1886, in Bimini Bahamas. Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Regards,

Theresa

• Re: Who was my 2nd great grandmother Rebecca Jane Barr's mother?
          thomas Tynan Wayfarer

So it appears that only Rebecca's father was listed on the US death certificate; from State of Florida? her Mother's name was not found....

How about birth certificate in Grand Bahamas?  Also...was she Cathoilc and baptized? Her parents should be listed on the baptismal records if she was a Christian. 

You could also look for an obituary in Delray Beach, Florida; it is quite common to say that person was the son/daughter of XX and was born in Grand Bahamas islands in 1866; that could yield other clues.  A local library in Delray Beach should be able to help you with local newspapers; if these were scanned.

You could also check her Social Security application to see if names were provided.

The best source= would be Grand Bahamas and sorry to say I don't know whom was in control of the islands in 1866; British Empire ? If so ; I am thinking their record keeping would be quite good.  If Rebecca was Catholic and baptized as an infant; again it should be available.

Hopefully - I have helped you out...Regards   Tom

1 person found this helpful
            James Huntoon Wayfarer

Dear Theresa Vennie:

Thank you for posting on History Hub!

As @thomasTynan mentioned the best record to locate would be a birth record.  You may have already used the database Bahamas, Civil Registration, 1850-1959 on Ancestry.com, which includes births since 1850.  Unfortunately, I did not see a Rebecca Jane Barr.

Here is a catalog listing from FamilySearch.org of specific types of records created in the Bahamas covering your research timeframe, which may aid in your search. 

Hello Thomas:

I greatly appreciate you researching my question.  I have Rebecca's death certificate in my possession and while her father is listed as Johnny Barr, her mother is listed as unknown.  I have not come across the birth certificate or baptismal record as of yet.  I have however, worked with the Government Research Service, Palm Beach County Library System in 2016, and they provided me with the attached death notice. The notice was published in the Palm Beach Post, 06 Nov 1955 and as you can see it did not provide much detail. To be quite honest, when I met the family for the first time, they were not aware that her maiden name was Barr. Yes, I believe she was a subject under George V. Great Britain and Ireland.

Obituary Rebecca Jane Barr Smith

Again, I really appreciate the information and I will definitely keep the questions flowing and provide this great resource to others.

Regards,

Theresa

thomas Tynan Wayfarer

Hello again....if you have the time; energy and patience you work it from both the Florida side and the Bahamas side of the equation. Contact the Baptist Church in Florida and see if they have any info.  - but the real work will be in the Bahamas; also look to see if anyone else is researching her....someone else may have this info already and you need to find that person.....Regards Tom

Hello Thomas:

I will definitely check with MT. Olive Baptist Church, located in Delray Beach, as she was a member.  I may be hard getting a hold of someone due to the Corona virus but it doesn't hurt to reach out.  I know there are two  trees on Ancestry for the Bahamas that I have contributed to but I will take a look to see if they have any updates. I will also check to see if anyone is researching her as well. You have been very helpful and a great source of information.

Regards,

Theresa

thomas Tynan Wayfarer

Also...get a free membership to FAMILY SEARCH  website (mormons) and google Grand Bahamas genealogy; there may be far more records and documents available then you know about just now.  You have to dig a bit deeper,,,,,,Regards Tom

Hello Thomas "Tom":

Thank you, I have had an account with Family Search since 2016, I believe and agree that that have an abundance of records. I have not however, googled Grand Bahamas genealogy, I will give that a try as well. I appreciate the resources provided both you and James, now it is time for me to take a deeper dive.  Do you know if marking my question "Mark as assumed answered" closes it so other responses are blocked?

Have a wonderful weekend!

Regards,

Theresa

thomas Tynan Wayfarer

Hi Theresa...You can say that you got your information and the issue is closed I guess.....

So yes....I saw the Marriage Certificate for Rebecca Jane Barr; very nice to have that for your family archive.

I did a bit if searching this morning too....I was surprised at how man "Barr's" there are in Bahamas;  back in the day it seems.

So there are (4) approaches for finding Rebecca Jane Barr's mom;

1. Locate her Father's death certificate [John Barr] and see if she is listed; fairly common to list a spouse.

2. If Rebecca had brother/sister's (likely; yes?) and you know 1 or 2 names; you search for their birth records; see if you find it that way.

(3) See if there was a Census on the Grand Bahamas islands in 1870 or in 1880; I tried to find out but could not find anything....

4. The fourth approach for me is the hardest but most likely; baptismal records. Most likely the Anglican's kept very good records; I found the address for you below; you can write them or search online for an email address;  I feel you will find it this way. Best of luck and keep me posted if you find out anything.

Regards    Tom

The Anglican Diocese and Local Parishes

Anglican Diocese of The Bahamas & The Turks and Caicos Islands
                                  Anglican Diocesan Office
                                  Addington House
                                  Sands Rd.
                                  P. O. Box N-656
                                  Bahamas
                                  Nassau, New Providence, Bahamas

Phone: 242-322-3015
                                  Fax: 242-322-7943

Hello Tom:

I won't mark as answered just yet since you are still providing me with resources. As far as the Barr's, yes there are several and I have been able to connect with a few in Florida whose parent's were born in the Grand Bahamas as well.  I will follow the steps provided and see where it leads me.

1.  I will keep searching for the death certificate of John Barr.

2.  I am kind of hoping that Margaret Barr might be a sibling as mentioned in the previous message.

3. I did not think about searching for a Census record so thank you for that.

4. I did not have knowledge of the Anglican Diocese and I thank you, I will give that  a try. I have a person who I believe is a cousin that works in the Registrar's Office in the Bahamas but she does search for records. I have asked a couple times if she can have someone check for me but will try that again.

Thank you so much for all of the information and the address, looks like I have some work to do!

Regards,

Theresa

Hello Tom:

I wanted to let you know that I found the email for the Anglican Diocese and have emailed my request using the following: bishopboyd@bahamasanglican.org. I have my fingers crossed that I receive a response with the requested information. I will keep you posted.

Regards,

Theresa

thomas Tynan Wayfarer

Nice job Theresa; keep me posted; fingers crossed and hoping there is a name there;

perhaps it might also lead you to a marriage record within the Church between John Barr and his future wife...ie your Great Grandmother...that would be a short period BEFORE 1866; still possible......Regards Tom

Good Morning Tom:

I hope this message finds you well.

I wanted to update you on my progress in regards to contacting the Anglican Diocese. I received a reply but it included an additional question, how would I go about finding the parish in which Rebecca was baptized?  Do you think it would be the same parish in which she was married, St. Stephens which was located in Bimini?  I am a little stuck and not sure how to proceed from here. If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them as I would like to respond to the email. I thank you so much for all of your assistance thus far, I would not have opened these doors of possibility if it were not for your guidance along the way.

Regards,

Theresa

thomas Tynan Wayfarer

Thersea....They have records and they are hoping you have an address or location where she (Rebecca or her Father) may have lived...on Grand Bahamas Island. The Anglican Church on the Grand Bahamas Island must be divided by Parishes; and that is how the records are organized.  So do you have any known address for John Barr on the Island ?  That will give an idea of which Parish she may have been baptized in....that's my guess.

Otherwise  if you don't have a Parish - they may have to go thru each Parish on the main island...to look for her baptismal record.....They are hoping you can narrow it down.....

Bimini is a different Island is it not ? So I don't see that helps you with a Parish on the Grand Bahamas Island...

Regards Tom

Hello Tom:

I wanted to share with you Rebecca's marriage certificate that was found by my daughter using Family Search.

Regards,

Theresa

thomas Tynan Wayfarer

Hello Theresa....I did a little searching this morning and found some of the same documents that you had mentioned. Including Rebecca's marriage certificate to Jacob Smith in Bimini in 1886 as you had previously said.

I am thinking that since she was a member of Christ Church you need to go back to the island she was born; Grand Bahamas island and see if you can find her baptismal information; normally a marriage certificate would list parents names; but for that time/place that was not required. However - a baptismal register  - should list parents names; perhaps not her mother's maiden name; but there is a good chance it will.  Maybe by searching online - you find the oldest Christ Church (Anglican ?) on the island and email them and ask them to help you with access to their baptismal register;  you know her Birth Year and her Father's name; so you have starting point.  Have you also tried to find a Death Certificate for Johnny Barr in the Bahamas ? That might be a good place to try. Another thing to try is did Rebecca have any siblings herself ?..if she did.....their parents names might also be on those birth certificates and you might get lucky there as well. Just keep working it and eventually I believe you will find Rebecca's mother's name....Regards   Tom