5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2016 11:53 AM by Julie Ann Cambridge

Who or what had a strong influence on your interest for history?

Thomas Richardson Tracker

More than likely, there was someone or something that sparked your love for history and inspired you to pursue the study. Who or what was there that got you started on the road to learning history?

• Re: Who or what had a strong influence on your interest for history?
          Michael Pierce Adventurer

Graduating from high school had the strongest influence. I absolutely HATED history. It was nothing but famous dates and famous people. After HS I got more into it, as I realized that regular folks lived their lives every day, and some of them became involved, one way or another, with the aforementioned dates and people.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Ann Abney Scout

For me, I didn't enjoy history as much in the classroom as I did with National History Day. I loved being able to pick my topic (within reason and bounds of the theme) and going at it from every angle. I can't remember much about my first few years topics (other than what they were), but I can tell you about Oscar Wilde and Jane Austen (my junior and senior topics) more than almost anything else in history.

My History Day "coach," who went on to be PBS Teacher of the Year, was a seventh grade science teacher and she always probed us to look at things from different angels and really truly delve deep into a topic. It was not uncommon to find annotated bibliographies that had over 100 entries for our school.

In college, my undergraduate advisor had this way of making anything interesting. He is a Medievalist, and I prefer History after 1989, so we're worlds apart on that level. But I took a Renaissance and Reformation class with him because he had the passion and knew how to teach. He's the reason I'm a historian and an archivist today.

Larry Shockley Adventurer

Although I knew that my late father had been a "History Buff," one morning shortly after I had completed the comprehensive exams to finish my History M.A., I woke up in his old bedroom, looked at his bookshelf and saw MANY of the same works that I had used to research my thesis.

I had no idea until that point how close my academic pursuits  had gotten to his personal interests.. It was as if I had been unknowingly carrying on a trek that he started,,,,

First, my mother and eventually the Uncle I never knew. I agree with the other responses, my high school experience didn't have any effect or influence on me. But from an early age, I was hooked and filled with imagination. I grew up hearing stories about my Uncle, Lt. Bruce F. Jepson. My mother was 16 when he was shot down over China in 1945. He never came home. We had a few photos and some artwork of his and when my Grandmother died I was sent on a path of discovery with a large archive of letters, records, and artwork. It has taken over my life. My Uncle should be remembered.