2 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2021 8:31 AM by Kolade Kayode

Seeking information about Ann Brookins

Kolade Kayode Newbie

Dear History Hub

I am interested in any information anyone could provide about Ms. Ann Brookins. Ms. Brookins is from Greeneville, Tennessee and attended what was then Tennessee A & I (now Tennessee State), graduating in 1937. She later did a Master's at George Washington. The only online information I was able to find about Ms. Brookins was in the Greeneville Sun about her obituary when she passed in 2006. Here is the link

https://www.greenevillesun.com/obituaries/ann-brookins/article_1b3c034b-4c63-5cb4-9a66-9ae28fa96bee.html

I am aware from that obituary that Ms. Brookins travelled widely and was in various parts of the world.

My question relates to Ms. Brookins' stay in Nigeria in the 1960s and 70s. Firstly, I am trying to confirm whether Ms. Brookins' stay in Nigeria was sponsored by the USAID or the Ford Foundation. I am aware that the USAID sponsored a number of teachers for the International School in Ibadan, Nigeria where Ms. Brookins taught. I suspect she was one of those sponsored by the USAID but I have no concrete information. USAID information are in the National Archives but I have been unable to obtain any.

I have checked with the Peace Corps and they have confirmed that she was never part of the Peace Corps. I have also checked with the Rockefeller Foundation, whose archives currently hold all Ford Foundation archival materials. The archivist at the Rockefeller Foundation Archives informed me that Ms. Brookins wrote to the Ford Foundation from Nigeria in 1972, but she could not confirm whether Ms. Brookins had been sponsored by the Ford Foundation in the first place.

Secondly, I am trying to get as much information as possible about her stay in Nigeria. I am aware that she taught at the International School, Ibadan and also studied at a university there. Could anyone please provide me with information about Ms. Brookins' stay in Nigeria.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Seeking information about Ann Brookins
          Zachary Dabbs Newbie

Dear Kolade Kayode,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you have not already done so you should consult Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS) for information regarding Department of State programs in Nigeria during this time period. This is a Department of State publication of selected documents from the Department’s files and other sources.  Besides providing the text of the most important documents on U.S. foreign policy, FRUS also provides a source citation printed either as a header with the document or as a footnote).  Those references to file numbers or other records identification are the keys to locating not only the printed documents but other documents on the same subject not selected for publication. Cited "Lot Files" may be difficult to identify among the records in the National Archives using just the Lot number.  If you are interested in using any of those records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. FRUS is usually available at large universities or public libraries, and in the  U.S. Government Depository Libraries.

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 6 series from the USAID Mission to Nigeria, including Subject Files, 1965 - 1975 and 5 series from the mission’s Executive Office, in the Records of the Agency for International Development (Record Group 286) that may include files relating to the agency’s activities in Nigeria. In the same record group we also located the series Classified Program Correspondence Files, 1961 - 1988 which may also include files regarding USAID programs in Nigeria during the 1960s and 1970s. Additionally, we located 2 series from the U.S. Consulate in Ibadan, Nigeria that contain records from the 1960s and 1970s, Classified and Unclassified Central Subject Files, 1962 - 1972 and General Records, 1962 - 1963, that may reflect Department of State activities in the city.

For more information about these records, please email National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful