1 Reply Latest reply on May 5, 2021 10:41 AM by Daniel Dancis

Seeking policy & assignments of the Phoenix Program

James Linn Newbie

I was assigned to the 525th MI- Phoenix Program- in Saigon in 1972. However, when I arrived in country in March 1972, I was told by the unit they could no longer assign officers to the Program; and, I needed to report to Camp Alpha to find a new assignment. I am looking for any details about the policy and personnel assignment changes to the Phoenix Program in 1972.

• Re: Seeking policy & assignments of the Phoenix Program
          Daniel Dancis Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Linn,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog in Record Group 472: Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, and located 84 series and 99 file units related to the term "Phoenix Program.

The following two file units are for 1972: 

I. File Unit:  1603-03A Phung Hoang (PHOENIX) 1971-72 (National Archives Identifier 5642565)

Creator:  Department of Defense. Pacific Command. U.S. Military Assistance Command Vietnam. Office of Civil Operations and Rural Development Support. CORDS Military Region 3. Office of Program Coordination. Phung Hoang Division. 1971-3/29/1973, from the Series: General Records, 1967 - 1972, Record Group 472: Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia.

II. File Unit:  201-09A Vietnamization Advisory Files - PHUNG HOANG (PHOENIX) Program, 1972 (National Archives Identifier 5945684).

Creator: Department of Defense. Pacific Command. U.S. Military Assistance Command Vietnam. Office of Civil Operations and Rural Development Support. CORDS Military Region 1. Advisory Team 19 (Quang Tri Province Advisory Team). 9/15/1968-3/29/1973, from the Series: Administrative and Operational Records, 5/1967 - 3/1973, Record Group 472: Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia

Additional information below is provided by Reference Archivist Martin Gedra:

For the Phoenix Program, Ashes to Ashes by Dale Andrate at CMH may be a good starting point. He used NARA records. It may be able to list series which deal with possible changes near the end of military involvement. 

Looking at records of the 525th may be the better approach, but there may be access issues.  Just looking in the National Archives Catalog, the following  jump out:

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5719198 has two officer debriefs in Boxes 276 and 286 dealing with the 525th.  Unclear, though, is what years.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5716811 (also unclear of the years) has records in Box 7 and deals with the UAASA, which makes me think that they could be useful.

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/5928020 will be the series with MI units.  Boxes 5 and 6 have history files, but some of the others (issuances in Box 15?)  The Operational Reports-Lessons Learned in Boxes 31-32 typically are quarterly summaries, so that may be a good starting point too.

The MACV annual command summaries may provide an overarching overview of what is happening and changes from year to year.

For access to these file units please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!