4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2016 4:55 PM by Sara Sullivan

How to find the documents on reels # 556 and # 557 of  M862 State Dept Numerical files 1906-1910 ?

Sara Sullivan Wayfarer

I searched the catalog with a variety of parameters to locate the digital images of microfilm M862. Below is the most useful query which provides this list in reel number sequence. Now I am looking for case # 7324/8 which the document M862.pdf lists on reel # 556.  I cannot find it via the catalog search. Can you help me locate it ? Thanks 

https://catalog.archives.gov/search?q=*:*&f.parentNaId=654171&f.level=fileUnit&sort=naIdSort%20asc&rows=100

• Re: How to find the documents on reels # 556 and # 557 of  M862 State Dept Numerical files 1906-1910 ?
          Ann Abney Scout

Hi Sara -

Here's the link you're looking for: https://catalog.archives.gov/id/19788739  It looks like 7324 starts on page 676. Some of the pages within 7324 are not distinguished between a lower level or not, so you'll have to go through the images to find exactly 7324.

Here's how I found it, for future knowledge. If there's an easier way, by all means may my colleagues or fellow researchers let us know!

In the Catalog, I searched "Numerical Files, 8/1906 - 1910" The first result is what I want in terms of the series. I clicked on it, and clicked on the "From" description that said "Series: Numerical Files, 8/1906 - 1910" From there I clicked on "1288 file unit(s) described in the catalog"

This will give you every reel in the series. After the first 6 entries, it goes numerically by Roll number. Page 32 has the entry for Reel #556 and #557.

Hopefully that helps! If you're going to be doing a lot of work in this series, I would recommend always searching by the NAID - the National Archives Identifier, which for this series is 654171.

Happy researching!

• Re: How to find the documents on reels # 556 and # 557 of  M862 State Dept Numerical files 1906-1910 ?
              Sara Sullivan Wayfarer

Thank you for providing this link. Yesterday I did the same basic query yet the response list went from roll 555 to roll 558 omitting 556 & 557. Yesterday, I did a screen capture so I could look at the results repeatedly to see what may be the explanation. Typically I have at least 2 browser windows, with multiple tabs in each - one tab with the Card Index list index, another for the Numerical File list. I use one window to click through the documents and then use the other window to actually enter and save the transcription. So today I do the search query - one time I get the list reel by reel, another time I get the list repeating 2 times the entries for roll 556, 557, 558, ... through 573 - but interesting the entries for 573 have a variation :  First has naid 19835987 and second has 19837304 ... humm ... things that go bump in the night ...

here's screen capture of the 2 entries 2016-02-23 2:5n pm

Jason Clingerman Wayfarer

Thanks for reporting the issues you experienced trying to access rolls from M862.

These issues you are experiencing finding the rolls in the order you would expect them relate to the reindexing that is occurring as a result of the new Catalog release. The reindexing is taking much longer than we had predicted, which is affecting users' ability to find things as expected.

Just check it myself and now rolls appear to be duplicating in the results, so now I see two 556's, two 557's, two 558's, etc. See screenshot below:

m862.jpg

I will make sure to check back on this issue once reindexing is completed. No specific estimate as to when that will be yet, so I apologize for the inconvenience in the mean time. Thanks again.

1 of 1 people found this helpful