1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2021 12:12 PM by Josette Schluter

    Seeking my great grandfather's Military service records

    Nancy Breault Newbie

      How do I find my great grandfather's service record? I have found very few on Ancestry.

        • Re: Seeking my great grandfather's Military service records
          Josette Schluter Scout

          Thank you for contacting History Hub.


          You can request a copy of your great Grandfather’s Military Personnel record. Depending on when he served will determine who you should contact.  Military Personnel records for prior to 1917 are held in the custody of the National Archives in Washington, D.C. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.


          If your great grandfather served in a branch of the military after 1917, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC has been closed and only completing emergency requests.  As of March 8, 2021, the NPRC entered into a phased expansion of our onsite workforce.  While we continue to increase our on-site staffing, we are still servicing requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter.  Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until we return to pre-COVID staffing levels.


          We hope that this information was helpful.