1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2021 10:12 AM by Lauren Theodore

Seeking records of Robert Whitworth immigration to United States

Andy Crews Newbie

My ancestor immigrated to the United States in 1846 through New Orleans.  His name was Robert W. Whitworth. He was born in 1830 in Halifax, England.  Probably embarked at Liverpool.  I can find no ship's records of his arrival in America.  He later went back to England in Dec. 1850 but in August 1851, he was marrying Rosa Dougherty (from Ireland) in Memphis, Tennessee.  I can find no records for her either.  She died in Texas in December 1865.  Can you help me find ship's records with either of these two?

• Re: Seeking records of Robert Whitworth immigration to United States
          Lauren Theodore Adventurer

Good morning,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub.

The National Archives has immigration records for arrivals to the United States from foreign ports between approximately 1820 and December 1982 (with gaps).  The records are arranged by port or airport of arrival. We recommend contacting the National Archives at Fort Worth, which is the custodian of records from Louisiana, to request a search of the Passenger Arrival lists for your ancestor.

The Federal government does not ordinarily create or maintain birth, death, marriage, divorce, adoption, or burial records. Such records are made and kept by state and local governments rather than the National Archives.

To search for marriage records in Tennessee, please visit the Tennessee State Library and Archives website.

For more information on searching for death records, the FamilySearch Research wiki for Genealogy, Texas and the Texas Vital Records office may be helpful.

We hope this information is helpful in your research.

Sincerely,

The National Archives and Records Administration