1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2021 2:28 PM by Josette Schluter

    Seeking time line of Humphries Walton & 29th Infantry Regiment

    nancy succop Newbie

      I have all my Father's letters which I would like to attempt to coordinate each letter with where he may have been. Could I have a time line of where he traveled with the 29th Infantry Regiment.  His entrance date was 9/10/1944.  Can you help me with researching a time line? My Father's name was Humphries Miller Walton.     

        • Re: Seeking time line of Humphries Walton & 29th Infantry Regiment
          Josette Schluter Scout

          Thank you for contacting the History Hub.


          You can recreate your fathers service with the 29th Infantry Regiment by reviewing both his military service records and the unit histories for the 29th Infantry Regiment.


          Unit histories for the army are a part of Records of the Adjunct General's office  (RG 407) and contain reports and supporting documents detailing combat operations at all levels for World War II ("Operations Reports"), 1940-48. These records are located at the National Archives at College PArk, MA and for more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Additionally we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF)( if you do not already have it). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope that this information was helpful to you and best of luck with your research.