1 Reply Latest reply on May 3, 2021 10:16 AM by Rachael Salyer

Seeking Topographical Maps of South Vietnam

David McClellan Newbie

I'm a Viet Nam Vet looking for era maps circa 1965-1972 of South Viet Nam. I prefer topographic maps if I can find them. I am also new on this site and not sure if I'm doing anything the way it it supposed to be done.

• Re: Seeking Topographical Maps of South Vietnam
          Rachael Salyer Tracker

Dear Mr. McClellan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Published Topographical Maps, 1942-1977 in the Records of the Office of the Chief of Engineers (Record Group 77) that includes 110 files related to Vietnam that may be of interest to you. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Cartographic (RDSC) at carto@nara.gov for access to and information about these records.

We also located the series Special Southeast Asia Tactical Charts, 1967-1972 and the series Combat Charts, 1971-1977 in the Records of the Defense Mapping Agency (Record Group 456) that both contain topographic information related to Vietnam. The series Geographic Military Maps and Aerial Photographs, ca. 1943-1980 in the Records of the Army Staff (Record Group 319) and the series Special Air Operations (SAO) Charts, 1967-1969 in the Records of U.S. Air Force Commands, Activities, and Organizations (Record Group 342) may also contain some relevant information. These records have not been digitized. You may contact RDSC with any questions you may have about these records.

Next, we located 5 series of maps in the Records of U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that may contain some pertinent information. These records have not been digitized. You may contact RDSC for assistance with these records.

In addition, the series Classified Political-Military Files Relating to Herbicide, 1962-1974 in the Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State (Record Group 84) that includes topographical maps. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to and information about these and similar records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSC and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!