1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2021 1:43 PM by Ceri McCarron

    Who is Charles B. Parmer?

    Gregory Williams Newbie

      Looking for any information on an author, reporter, congressional reporter Charles B. Parmer.

        • Re: Who is Charles B. Parmer?
          Ceri McCarron Adventurer

          Dear Mr. Williams,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the internet and located his obituary that was printed in “The Tennessean”, Nashville, Tennessee on 09 Nov 1958 on page 75.


          We search the National Archives Catalog and located the Subject Files, 1942 - 1945 in the Records of the Office of War Information (OWI) (Record Group 208) that includes two file units titled Congressional Relations (1945) -- Subject File, C-D and Congressional Relations (1940-49) -- Subject File, C-D. The files may contain reports produced by Parmer. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Since he served in the Army during WWi, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Since he may have been a civilian when he worked for OWI, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Personnel File (OPF). OPFs and medical information for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity before 1952 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please email RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov and include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of the employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, the website is https://www.archives.gov/st-louis/opf.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!