2 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2021 8:44 AM by Bryan Cheeseboro

    How to find Wyandot relative when listed as white on census

    Alison Babb Newbie

      My husband's family has photos of their great (x3) grandmother who was the last full blooded Wyandot Native American in our family.  Her English name appears in a census, but she's listed as white.  We're assuming that's because she married a white man and they had 3 children together.  She died young due to tuberculosis and she was buried in an unmarked grave.  Her daughter also died when she was about 9  years old, also due to tuberculosis and she was buried with her father's parents in Hutchinson, KS.  We think the relative we're looking for was born in Indiana or Illinois and traveled to Kansas while married and maybe buried back in her birth loaction.  Is there anything where we can find where a native family's names were changed to English names?  We're really trying to find her history so our kids have that information to pass on to their children.  :0D

        • Re: How to find Wyandot relative when listed as white on census
          Jeremy Farmer Wayfarer

          Hello Alison, and thank you for your interest in History Hub. Do you have a birthdate and name for this individual?


          You may want to contact the tribe, and see if they have any listing for this name.




          Additionally, census records from the time the person lived are helpful in seeing variances in the name.




          Consumer sites are also helpful for searching for information on people, such as Family Search.


          You may also have luck with birth, marriage and death records, which are non-federal, and usually help in the County Courts or archive where the person resided.


          We would be happy to look further into this if you could provide more contextual information.



          • Re: How to find Wyandot relative when listed as white on census
            Bryan Cheeseboro Wayfarer

            Dear Alison Babb,


            In addition to my colleague's post, there are many ways to approach genealogical research in the National Archives.  Because the records in our custody are maintained in "record groups" that correspond with the Federal agency that created them, it is necessary to identify areas in which your ancestors had contact with the Federal government.  The records in the National Archives that are most useful for genealogical research include census records and passenger arrival lists of immigrants.  These records usually provide information such as age, country of origin, parents, spouses, etc.  In order for us to make a search of these records it is necessary for you to provide names, dates, and places.  We are enclosing our pamphlet Using Records in the National Archives for Genealogical Research, along with forms for ordering passenger arrival records and census records.




            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from [NARA Unit]. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.