1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2021 2:10 PM by Jamie Vander Clute

Seeking information about The Nickel Palace

Stacie Gonzalez Newbie

Hi - I'm looking for old photos and any information about an old venue that was operating in 1908 called The Nickel Palace, in Denison, Texas. It would be a bonus if I could find information about a pianist who performed there by the last name of McMillan (I have a couple of newspaper articles that cite to him). Thanks! Stacie

• Re: Seeking information about The Nickel Palace
          Jamie Vander Clute Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Gonzalez,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the internet and located a listing of Denison theaters on a Grayson County TX webpage. This is what it includes for Nickel Palace: 421 West Main Street. “Nickel Palace” was a later name for the Nickelodeon. The theater was called Nickel Palace from 1908 to 1909. that lists the identifying the “Nickel Palace” as a nickname for the Nickelodeon theater located on 421 West Main Street.

We also located The Portal to Texas History that includes records from the University of North Texas (UNT) Libraries. We searched the portal for the name “McMillan” that produced 137 results. Please view them for the pianist you seek.

In addition, we searched the portal for “Nickel Palace” that produced three references to the theater in The Denison Daily Herald (Denison, TX) in Vol. 19, No. 215, Ed. 1 Saturday, March 21, 1908 Page: 8 of 12; Vol. 19, No. 217, Ed. 1 Tuesday, March 24, 1908 Page: 8 of 8; and Vol. 19, No. 287, Ed. 1 Tuesday, June 16, 1908 Page: 8 of 8.

The Grayson County Historical Commission maintains a Facebook page, and individual email addresses of the Commission leadership are listed here. They may be able to provide more assistance.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!