1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 30, 2021 9:14 AM by Anna Smallwood

Searching for death records of Klara Elizabeth Aufderheide

Tim Kamphaus Newbie

I am looking for information on my great great grandmother.   Klara Elizabeth Aufderheide.  She married Wilhelm Kamphaus on February 4, 1854 in Kenton county Kentucky. I am sure she was a German immigrant.  Born approximately in 1827. I have no concrete information on where she was from or any information of her parents, etc etc. I am positive she died in Guttenberg, Iowa in 1858 or 1859.  Because Wilhelm remarried, to a Sophia Steinkamp in 1859 or 1860. I do have, of course, have the records of her marriage to Wilhelm Kamphaus, and also church records of the baptismal records of my great grandfather (George) that shows she was the mother. These records were from the Catholic Church (St Mary's) in Guttenberg Iowa. But the church, or the diocese, in Iowa, has not found any records of her death, or for that matter any records of death recorded at St Mary's. In addition, I cannot find any burial sites for her in Guttenberg, or for any siblings of George who died during this same time frame.

Thanks

Tim Kamphaus

• Re: Searching for death records of Klara Elizabeth Aufderheide
          Anna Smallwood Wayfarer

Dear Tim Kamphaus:

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

Vital Records (birth/death certificates, marriage licenses, etc.) are not considered federal records and are not kept by the National Archives. We suggest reaching out to the local state or county for these records. For more information see https://www.archives.gov/research/vital-records

You may also wish to search newspaper records of the time. Sometimes obituaries would be listed in the local paper with information about services or burials. Many times local libraries have access to these records onsite.

It is also worth noting that census records are a great resource for genealogical research. Information about census records can be found on our website at https://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/census/about. Many of these records have been digitized and are available through our partners or our catalog. For additional information about accessing these records, you can visit our website.

We hope this information assists you with your family research!