4 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2021 9:30 AM by Anna Smallwood

Seeking information on Festy Wallace

John Burke Newbie

Hi,

I am looking for any information on Festy Wallace who was my great aunt's brother-in-law.

He came to the United States in 1915 but there was nothing more heard of him.

Festy was born on Turbot Island, Clifden, Galway, Ireland on September 1892. He is still on the Irish census's of 1901 & 1911.

I have found on the Ellis Island website that he travelled from Liverpool to New York on September 29th 1915 on the SS New York.

The address given where he was heading was 58 State St, Brooklyn NY, to his cousin Mary Toole.

On arrival at Ellis Island he was then a detained alien? I have not been able to find any more about Festy

Any help by experienced researchers would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

• Re: Seeking information on Festy Wallace
          Anna Smallwood Wayfarer

Dear John Burke:

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

Since your relative came into New York, we searched the records at Ellis Island. Since we know that he arrived in 1915, we could conduct a search for "Wallace" for 1915 arriving on the SS New York. This information (arrival date and ship name) came from Ancestry. It appears that his name in the records of Ellis Island was Fesly not Festy. Looking at the record in Ancestry, it also looks like it could be an L not a T. So maybe the name is actually Fesly or Fesley. You could try a search using this name to see if anything comes up.

We also searched the National Archives catalog for the above individuals but found no responsive results.

Information about census records can be found on our website at https://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/census/about. Many of these records have been digitized and are available through our partners. For additional information about accessing these records, you can visit our website.

We hope this information assists you with your family research!