3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2021 2:18 PM by Megan Garcia

    How to get length of service statement.

    Robert Varnado Newbie

      I am trying to get a VA home loan. During the process I keep getting denied saying not enough information for length of service. I submitted my DD214 and Discharge certificate. I was told that I need a statement for length of service. How do I go about retrieving that form?

        • Re: How to get length of service statement.
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

          Dear Mr. Varnado,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of your complete Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before October 2002 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions.


          According to the National Personnel Records Center’s explanation about Discharge Papers at https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/dd-214, the information shown on the Report of Separation may include the service member's:

          • Date and place of entry into active duty
          • Home address at the time of entry
          • Date and place of release from active duty
          • Home address after separation
          • Last duty assignment and rank
          • Military job specialty
          • Military education
          • Decorations, medals, badges, citations and campaign awards received
          • Total creditable service
          • Foreign service credited
          • Separation information (date and type of separation, character of service, authority and reason for separation and separation and reenlistment eligibility codes)

          The report of separation form issued in most recent years is the DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Before January 1, 1950, several similar forms were used by the military services, including the WD AGO 53, WD AGO 55, WD AGO 53-55, NAVPERS 553, NAVMC 78PD and the NAVCG 553.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


          Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and were separated after September 30, 2002 (Army); after September 30, 2004 (Air Force); after 1994 (Navy); and after 1998 (Marine Corps) are available in electronic format via https://milconnect.dmdc.osd.mil/milconnect/.


          We hope this is helpful.

          1 person found this helpful