5 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2021 12:19 AM by Janis Taberna

    Seeking Civil War records for uncle

    Janis Taberna Newbie

      Do any of the Civil War Veterans papers include the names of the Veterans parents? What information can I get regarding the death of a Veteran who died after the war. A uncle of mine served 4 years in the Civil War and died 8 years later at the age of 32. A military headstone was ordered for him. Would any of that paper work include the Veterans cause of death and the place of death?

        • Re: Seeking Civil War records for uncle
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Can you provide any additional information on your relative, name, DOB, place of birth?

            • Re: Seeking Civil War records for uncle
              Janis Taberna Newbie

              John A Delany Born abt 1841 in Pennsylvania. Died 8-24-1873 and buried in Hillsville, Pennsylvania. Served in 53 Reg. Ohio Inf. Company C (film# M552 roll 26)  Contracted date 11-29-1879 (I believe this is when the headstone was requested but not certain) He married Mary Wolf on 5-14-1861 in Scioto Ohio they had 5 children. There is another application #387881 on 1-29-1889 from dependent Mary Hunter (His wife who remarried) i believe this is for his pension (all information from Ancestry.com ) I know his mother was Belinda Wimer-Delany-Singleton and I believe his father was William. His father died before 1850 and cannot find any information other than that is the name listed on John's sisters death certificate as her father.

              Wanting to know cause of death to John and Fathers name. Would that be on any paper government files. Also I know Civil War Solders had their pictures taken and was wondering if the government keep a copy of each solder?


            • Re: Seeking Civil War records for uncle
              Jared Chamberlin Wayfarer

              Dear Janis Taberna,


              Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


              One area that may be helpful are Civil War pension files. While typically filed by widows or children, there are instances where a pension was applied for by a mother or father. The pension files are indexed by NARA microfilm publication T288, General Index to Pension Files, 1861-1934 (544 rolls) which is also available online at Ancestry.com (for a fee).


              There are also 3 record series (XC files) in Record Group 15 at the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) that include claims files relating to Civil War Veterans. These records were transferred to the National Archives in 1952 and 1955 from the VA. Please email both RDT1 at archives1reference@nara.gov and RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov with full details about the file you are seeking.


              For both Union and Confederate volunteer units raised by states, there may be additional information in the custody of the relevant state archives. Also, the staff of some Civil War related museums and U.S. state historical societies and museums may be able to assist you with your research.


              Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1/RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


              We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


              1 person found this helpful