5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 29, 2021 12:57 PM by Cindy Perna

Looking for records of Charles Wayne Armstrong

Cindy Perna Newbie

I am looking for records of Charles Wayne Armstrong living in St. St. Joseph, Missouri after WWII ,or if he received a Purple Heart. He served in the 82nd Airborne in WW II, and I recently ran across a notice for a Purple Heart with "Charles W. Armstrong" that was left in an unclaimed bank security deposit that is now being held in State of Missouri Unclaimed property. I am trying to corroborate if this Purple Heart is his or not. He was my "adopted" grandfather and I am trying to connect him to St. Joseph so we can make sure it is his before I tell his daughters so we can file the paperwork to claim the property. Public Notice of Unclaimed ProperyThank You for any help you can give!

• Re: Looking for records of Charles Wayne Armstrong
          Jared Chamberlin Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Perna,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Award Cards, 1942 - 1963 for the U.S. Army Air Force/Air Force, but do not see a card for Charles Armstrong. These records are digitized and available using the Catalog. For more information on these cards, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.

For former Air Force (including Army Air Corps) personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate Air Force department for issuance of the medals. For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at Request Military Service Records or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."

You can also request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful
            Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Cindy,

Here is some information you might find useful below for you adoptive grandfather. Here is were he is buried please follow link. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/58527926/charles-wayne-armstrong

He was with the 82nd AB, 505th PIR or Parachute Infantry Regiment. https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sanantonio/obituary.aspx?n=charles-armstrong&pid=144586969

1 person found this helpful
                Cindy Perna Newbie

Thank you so much! This card has so much information, it's awesome! I have been trying to narrow down which regiment he was in, and I was thinking it might be the 505th because I remember him telling me that he dropped in Sicily before Normandy, and one of the 82nd AB history sites said that the 504th wasn't part of the invasion drop, but I hadn't been able to find anything to confirm that. Where did you find which regiment he was in? This site is fantastic!!

Cindy Perna Newbie

I just noticed that on the picture of the grave it says Purple Heart. My next step here I guess  is to go ahead and tell his daughters, and ask them if they have his medal. I haven't told them about the Purple Heart I located because I wanted more evidence that it was his before I did. I did find a record of a Charles W. Armstrong (KIA) who had been awarded a Purple Heart, but he was from Indiana and the Purple Heart that was found in the unclaimed bank safe deposit is in St. Joseph, Missouri, and Tripplet (which is listed on his Registration card) is about two hours away. On his obituary it says his place of birth was Tipple, MO which doesn't exist so the card really had provided a lot of info already.The hard part about verifying his information is that most of our knowledge of his history was from him and because of a gunshot wound to his head (3rd wife) in 1974, he wasn't the best source since he had memory issues after that. Unfortunately, by the time I really got interested in WWII history, as an adult he was in his middle 80s and developed dementia.