1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 28, 2021 2:35 PM by Jamie Vander Clute

Seeking inmate records of Charles Harrington

Shirley Jeanne Newbie

Hello - My grandfather, Charles Harrington, is listed in the 1930 census as a prisoner at the U.S. Industrial Reformatory in Ohio, Ross County, Scioto Township from 1929-1930.  He was 17 and I believe it was related to a bootlegging.  I have been unsuccessful in finding any other information on his time there aside from the census.  Can you assist? Thank you

• Re: Seeking inmate records of Charles Harrington
          Jamie Vander Clute Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Jeanne,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located two series in the Records of the Bureau of Prisons (Record Group 129) that contain records pertaining to the Reformatory in Chillicothe but were unable to locate records specifically about inmates. For more information about these records, please email the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

It is possible that the Ohio State Archives has records relating to the Reformatory as it is now a State Correctional Institution. You may contact the Ohio State Archives to inquire about their records by emailing statearchives@ohiohistory.org or by calling (614) 297-2536.

There is a U.S. Bureau of Prisons publication titled “The Federal Reformatory, Chillicothe, Ohio” from 1954 that provides information about the Reformatory that may be of interest. The publication may be read in full via Google Books here.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!