3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2021 4:06 PM by Michael Montespina

Urgent SF50 request. When should I hear a response from NPRC?

Michael Montespina Newbie

To give some background to this question. I am a veteran, former federal employee, and military spouse. I left government employment 2 years ago to accompany my spouse on orders. When I left a kept a copy of an SF50 I had acquired for a time-off award but it does not have information on my time in service or any of the GS levels I held before the award. Now HR is trying to figure out which GS level I would qualify for based on previous service but HR says the SF50 I have is not the complete version. I immediately sent a handwritten fax to NPRC with my:

- URGENT in fax title

- full name

- date of birth

- SSN

- name/location of the federal agency I used to work at

- my start of federal service

- the end of my federal service

- my mailing address

- my return fax number

- description of my situation

- the date I wrote and signed my request

- my signature

I have also left follow-up messages via phone to the NPRC in Valmeyer, IL.

I have sent my requests to a NPRC fax number I found on https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/civilian-non-archival

I informed HR with the potential employer that I have sent a request and hope to receive it soon. However I do not know how long that might take, so this is a request for help, but also a legitimate question on when I could realistically expect a response with my SF50 form attached.

To summarize my questions:

How long is the turnaround time for an urgent records request?

Is there any reason why NPRC would not be authorized to respond to a request? i.e. form request not sent correctly

Is there another fax or phone number?

How long should one wait for before sending additional follow up?

Thank you to anyone who might respond to this.

• Re: Urgent SF50 request. When should I hear a response from NPRC?
          Jared Chamberlin Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Montespina,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Recently, NPRC has been experiencing problems with incoming faxes, and it is recommended to send requests to any of the alternate numbers provided here: https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/civilian-non-archival.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your request. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Urgent SF50 request. When should I hear a response from NPRC?
            Michael Montespina Newbie

UPDATE: I received a fax back from NPRC. It took about five business days to hear back from them. From April 23rd to today April 30th. They sent a form with a checkbox that they did not have any SF-50s for me on file and that I should reach out to my old job. I have been out of the government for 850 days today. This made me reorient my attention to my former work human resource office. I had called them a couple of times with no answer, but since 850 days is way over the 120 day mark that SF-50s are supposed to be archived, I didn't think there was any chance that they still had it. Finally, I found an alternate number to HR and got a person on the phone who was able to send all of my SF-50s to me today.