1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2021 2:27 PM by Bryan Cheeseboro

Seeking information regarding R L Swanson

Natalie Peters Newbie

I am seeking information regarding a shipmate of my father's who served on the USS Vandivier during the years 1957-1960. The shipmates last name is Swanson. My deceased father, Anthony Drex Lomma, served on the USS Vandivier (DER 540) from January 1957 until July 1960. We have located a uniform at my father's childhood home in Bristol, PA which belongs to a RL Swanson.   His service number is marked in the uniform as well. I believe that Mr. Swanson was a crew mate of my father's and somehow my father had his uniform. I would like locate this man's family, but I have no idea what state he is from or is full first name. My father has been deceased for over 40 years so I have no one to ask.

Thank you,

Natalie Peters

• Re: Seeking information regarding R L Swanson
          Bryan Cheeseboro Wayfarer

Dear Ms. Peters,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck log of the USS Vandivier (DER 540) for 1957- 1960. For access to and/or copies of this log, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We also searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls and Personnel Diaries of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1949 - 12/31/1971 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the muster rolls of the USS Vandivier (DER 540) for 1957- 1960. The original 16mm microfilm had been digitized and the images are available via the Catalog. A number of images may be illegible due to the poor quality of the original microfilm that was transferred to NARA by the Department of the Navy.  The original paper records were destroyed by the Navy after filming.

A brief history of the USS Vandivier from the Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, a multi-volume publication of the Department of the Navy, is available at https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/ship-histories/danfs.html.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1, RE-BO, and RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.