3 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2021 10:21 AM by Thierry Minsart Branched from an earlier discussion.

Seeking records of 17th Airborne Division

Thierry Minsart Newbie

I am preparing a book on the 17th Airborne Division for the period of the Battle of the Bulge from January 1945 to the Battle of the Dead Man's Ridge. Could you help me by guiding me to the records that would concern the units of the 17th  Airborne Division. I am looking for documents and photos of all units like 507th, 513th, 550th Infantry Regiment and also 193rd and 194th Glider.  I have already collected a lot of documents and stories from the families of the veterans of the 17th Airborne. As you can see on Facebook, I am active in the 17th Airborne family.  I live in the region of Flamierge, near Bastogne in Belgium.

Thierry Minsart.

• Re: Seeking records of 17th Airborne Division
          Rachael Salyer Pioneer

Dear Thierry Minsart,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched National Archives Catalog and located the series Photographs of American Military Activities, ca. 1918 - ca. 1981 in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111) that includes 2 images related to the 17th Airborne Division. These records have been digitized and can be viewed online in the Catalog. You may also use the Catalog to search within the series for additional images related to other units you are researching. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov with any questions you might have about these records.

Next, we located the series Moving Images Relating to Military Activities, 1947-1964 in Record Group 111 that contains 9 files related to the 17th Airborne Division. Most of these records have been digitized and can be viewed online in the Catalog, and you may use the Catalog to search within the series for similar records related to other military units. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Motion Pictures (RDSM) at mopix@nara.gov for additional assistance with these records.   

We also located the series World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917 - 1985 (Record Group 407) that includes records of numerous U.S. Army units during WWII. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov for access to and information about these records. When you submit your inquiry, please include the specific unit(s) and date range you are interested in

Plus, we located the series Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes additional records related to U.S. Army units during the 1940s that may be of interest to you. These records have not been digitized. You may contact RDT2 for assistance with them. Please include as much information as possible about the name(s) of the unit(s) and the date(s) you are researching.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS, RDSM, and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful