7 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2021 8:45 AM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking information on Thomas Conroy & 2nd Machine Gun Bn

    John Burke Newbie

      I would like to find any information and/or photographs of my great-uncle Thomas Conroy (ASN 237348) who was in the 1st Division at Meuse-Argonne. He was severely wounded on October 2nd 1918. I am led to believe that he was gassed. Would anyone know what would have happened to him after this date? On his military record, it says he served in Company C, 2nd Machine Gun Battalion to disch. He served in Cantigny, Saizerais, Montdidier, Noyon, Aisne-Marne, St Mihiel and Meuse-Argonne. Any help or leads are greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

        • Re: Seeking information on Thomas Conroy & 2nd Machine Gun Bn
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have any additional information on your great-uncle that could help in my search. DOB, place of birth.

          • Re: Seeking information on Thomas Conroy & 2nd Machine Gun Bn
            Rachael Salyer Pioneer

            Dear Mr. Burke,


            Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Photographs of American Military Activities, ca. 1918 - ca. 1981 in the Records of the Office of the Chief Signal Officer (Record Group 111) that includes 1 photograph of the 2nd Machine Gun Battalion, 262 images of the "First Division", and 223 images related to the "1st Division" that may be of interest to you. These images have been digitized and can be viewed online in the Catalog. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Stil Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov with any questions you might have about these and similar records.


            We also located the series Records of Divisions, ca. 1918 - 1942 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (AEF) (World War I) (Record Group 120) that includes records related to the First Division’s Machine Gun Battalions in boxes 56-58. These records have not been digitized. For access to and information about them, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at archives2reference@nara.gov.


            It sounds like you’ve already requested your great uncle’s military records, but just in case you have not done so, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. Please note that the "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If your great uncle’s “official” photograph still exists, it will most likely be found in his OMPF; however, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS and RDT2. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


            We hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with your family research!