1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2021 1:55 PM by Rachael Salyer

WWI SUB CHASERS

Imelda Russell Newbie

Were the WWI sub chasers required to keep log books and if so where would I find them? I checked the post on Navy Log Books but did not see them listed. I am interested in the records for USS SC 273.

• Re: WWI SUB CHASERS
          Rachael Salyer Tracker

Dear Ms. Russell,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Carded Histories of Dirigibles, Seaplanes, Submarines, and Sub Chasers During World War I in the Naval Records Collection of the Office of Naval Records and Library (Record Group 45), which includes information about ships’ movements, and which may contain some information related to the sub chaser you are researching. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at archives1reference@nara.gov for access to and information about these and similar records.

The series Indexes to Correspondence, 1911-1922 in the Records of the Bureau of Ships (Record Group 19) contains 4 files related to Submarine Chasers that may be relevant to your research. These records have been digitized and can be viewed online in the Catalog. The index relates to the series General Correspondence, 1911-1922, which has not been digitized. You may contact RDT1 with any questions you might have about these records.

Next, we located the series General Correspondence, 5/1917 - 4/1919 in the Records of Naval Districts and Shore Establishments (Record Group 181) that includes 3 files related to Sub Chasers. These records have not been digitized. Please contact the National Archives at Boston (RE-BO) at boston.archives@nara.gov for access to and information about these records. 

We also located the series American Unofficial Collection of World War I Photographs, 1917-1918 in the Records of the War Department General and Special Staffs (Record Group 165) that contains 266 images related to Submarine Chasers that may be of interest to you. These records have been digitized and can be viewed online in the Catalog. You may contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS) at stillpix@nara.gov for additional assistance with these records.

Finally, you may also find some useful information in this previous History Hub thread about Sub Chasers.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1, RE-BO, and RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!