1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2021 9:50 AM by Jared Chamberlin

    Looking for US Army records for my great uncle

    Michael Huffman Newbie



      I am looking for help on searching for US Army records for my great uncle, Carl Darwin Moody. He disappeared from Nichols Army hospital in late 1950, or early 1951.


      Born on December 31, 1930 in Pulaski County, Kentucky

      Father is Amos Porter Moody (1911 - 1949)

      Mother is Susie Moody (Vanhook) (1910 - 1998)


      On December 25, 1950, he was in a car accident in Louisville, Kentucky. From the article in the Courier-Journal, he received face cuts, body bruises, and possible internal injuries. The article says he was taken to Nichols Hospital, which I was able to find out was closed in 1952. I called the Louisville VA hospital, but they have no records under his name and last four of SSN. From old family stories, I was told that he walked out of this hospital, never to be seen or heard from again.


      Any information/guidance that anyone can help with would be greatly appreciated.



        • Re: Looking for US Army records for my great uncle
          Jared Chamberlin Wayfarer

          Dear Mr. Huffman,


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!