1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2021 11:27 AM by Jared Chamberlin

Missing DD214

David Olah Newbie

I've filled out a SF-180 two different times, and each time, I recieved two DD214 copies that encompass dates for the beginning and ending of my Navy Career.

On the one from the 4 years at the end of my career, Block 12.d shows Total prior active service 16/00/09 (16 years 9 months), which is correct.  However, I was not sent the DD214 that shows the majority of my service.  How can I find the missing DD214? 

Thanks,

Dave

• Re: Missing DD214
          Jared Chamberlin Wayfarer

Dear Mr. Olah,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

If requesting a DD214 for benefits purposes, what will typically be received is the most recent DD214 showing the total length of service. For benefits purposes, this is typically all that is required. If you are looking for all of your DD214s, you would need to request a complete copy of your OMPF, stating that you want “All documents in OMPF.”

Under normal circumstances, you are most welcome to request a copy of your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). The Official Military Personnel Files are in the custody of the National Personnel Record Center / National Archives at St. Louis. However, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, and our limited workforce, we are prioritizing requests from veterans and their families for medical emergencies, final military honors, and other essential benefits. Currently, there is a substantial backlog of routine requests, in addition to the emergency requests awaiting response. While it is still unknown how soon we will be able to resume responding to routine requests, the National Personnel Record Center is working hard and taking an aggressive approach to decreasing response times and eliminating the backlog. Please understand that your request will be placed into a queue for non-emergency requests until such time as we are able to process it.

We hope this is helpful.