1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 23, 2021 4:30 PM by Bryan Cheeseboro

    Seeking Military Records of Deceased Grandfather

    Lucinda Brown Newbie

      When you are up and running normally, is there a way to obtain the military file and medical file for a deceased grandfather. He was drafted into WWI, Went to Georgia for training, became ill and died there. Never seeing actual service.


      Many Thanks


        • Re: Seeking Military Records of Deceased Grandfather
          Bryan Cheeseboro Wayfarer

          Dear Ms. Brown,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), whih is stored in St. Louis at the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). The NPRC is the official repository for records of military personnel who have been discharged or retired from the U.S. Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Navy and Coast Guard. See https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/about-service-records.html for more information.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Here is the link to the current operating status of the National Personnel Records Center. 


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDSS and RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!