2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 22, 2021 5:22 PM by Bryan Cheeseboro

    Seeking military records for my uncle, James M. Spirk

    Julie Folkerts Newbie

      I am looking for the military records for my Uncle, James M. Spirk, for WWII.  He told us he was a gunner on the B52 bombers. He was from Denver, CO. Thank you,

      Julie Spirk Folkerts

        • Re: Seeking military records for my uncle, James M. Spirk
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Here is some information pertaining to your uncle. Please see below.




          Name:James M Spirk
          Birth Date:17 Sep 1925
          Death Date:5 Nov 1999
          Enlistment Branch:ARMY
          Enlistment Date:28 Oct 1943
          Discharge Date:5 Dec 1946


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking military records for my uncle, James M. Spirk
            Bryan Cheeseboro Wayfarer

            Dear Ms. Folkerts,


            hank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force after 1958 and before May 1, 1994 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC is closed except for emergencies. Currently, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for any inconvenience.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!