1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 22, 2021 12:58 PM by Hannah Reynolds

    Seeking records of grandfather, a WWI veteran

    David Smith Newbie

      I am seeking any legal documents (birth certificate from Ontario, Canada) and other information including his naturalization papers for my grandfather who passed away in 1970 in Flint, Michigan. I have his death certificate only. He was born on Nov 28,1896 in Ontario, Canada and fought for the USA in the Army WWI.  Thanx!

      Dave Smith

        • Re: Seeking records of grandfather, a WWI veteran
          Hannah Reynolds Wayfarer

          Dear Mr. Smith


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Since your grandfather was born in Ontario, Canada, please contact Ontario Services to request a copy of his birth certificate.


          We suggest that you review the National Archives website for immigration-related research tips, as well as read an article published in NARA’s Prologue magazine on Canadian Border Crossing Records for information.


          In addition, if you would like to look at your grandfather’s military records we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and before 1959 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from [NPRC]. Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!