2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2021 12:20 PM by Jenette Parish

    My Coast Guard records

    Jim Prastio Newbie

      Looking for pictures and records for James Joseph Prastio

        • Re: My Coast Guard records
          Eric Kilgore Adventurer

          Dear Jim Prastio,


          Under normal circumstances, you are most welcome to request a copy of your  Official Military Personnel File (OMPF), which may also contain photographs.  The Official Military Personnel Files are in the custody of the National Personnel Record Center / National Archives at St. Louis.  However, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, and our limited workforce, we are prioritizing requests from veterans and their families for medical emergencies, final military honors, and other essential benefits.  Currently, there is a substantial backlog of routine requests, in addition to the emergency requests awaiting response.  While it is still unknown how soon we will able to resume responding to routine requests,  the National Personnel Record Center is working hard and taking an aggressive approach to decreasing response times and eliminating the backlog.  Please understand, that your request will be placed into a queue for non-emergency requests until such time as we are able to process it.


          You can begin the process of requesting your records here:



          As far as photographs are concerned, you can contact our Still Pictures division by email at stillpix@nara.gov.

          They might be able to find something based on captions, dates, ships and/or stations during your service. 



          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!



          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RRPO (The National Archives at St. Louis). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

          • Re: My Coast Guard records
            Jenette Parish Adventurer

            Hello Mr. Prastio,


            Thank you for posting your question on the History Hub.  Here are a few links below to research your military ancestor.



            Introduction to Military Records Research


            National Archives Genealogy

            Know your Records on YouTube.

            Tips to use Ancestry.com

            Army records at NARA



            You may search for your military ancestors on the census records on familysearch.org for free after you create a login account. The family search wiki page is great to search genealogy information. Search the wiki for your state or Navy to find excellent genealogy links. Vital records are held by each state, not by the National Archives   



            Ancestry.com and fold3.com are subscriptions but they also contain military records. You may have free access at your local library. Please call ahead to make sure they have access. There may be online access as well.



            After you find enough information, you may order military records from WWI forward with EVETRECS. There are significant delays with ordering. See notification below.



            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC has been closed and only completing emergency requests.  As of March 8, 2021, the NPRC entered into a phased expansion of our onsite workforce.  While we continue to increase our on-site staffing, we are still servicing requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter.  Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until we return to pre-COVID staffing levels.


            I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.