4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2021 11:38 AM by Kirsten Slifirski

Polish / US Army service?

Michele Bogusz Newbie

Hello,

I am hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

I have my grandfathers service book/certificate which lists him as being part of the Labor Company in US Army ( 4088  ) from which he left service in 1950 and then emigrated to New Zealand ( I believe he thought he was headed for USA).

Form my research the labour company were not in the US army but served along side? I am fairly sure he remained in Polish territory or the surrounding areas.  He has a medal in a case with service years etc.

I am wondering if there is any way I can find out more about what he was doing or how he came to be part of this group.  I have only minimal records of his family, I do know his father was Wladyslaw Bogusz born 1895 however have no further information on him as my grandfather was removed form the family during early war years and never saw his father again.

Appreciate any and all advice on where I can go to try and find more out about these two people, I have tried the usual places (ancestry/family search) but keep coming up with very little.

• Re: Polish / US Army service?
          Eric Kilgore Adventurer

Dear Michele Bogusz,

Thank you for your question on History Hub!

There's quite a bit of information out there on the Labor Service Companies which were formed after WWII to help with reconstruction efforts in Europe.  Here's some of what I found:

Here is a great article from the US Army's Special Operations Publication, Veritas:

https://arsof-history.org/articles/v5n1_lodge_act_part_1_page_1.html

Here are two previous, History Hub discussions on the same topic with some interesting options for your research:

Civilian labor units assigned to US military in Germany WW2

Seeking information about Polish Guard Companies

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RRPO (The National Archives at St. Louis). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

1 person found this helpful
            Jenette Parish Adventurer

Hello Mr. Bogusz,

Thank you for posting your question on the History Hub. Here is some more information you may find useful,  Introduction to Military Records. You may also review NARA's Youtube channel for additional resources on how to research military records NARA Know Your Records Playlist.

After you find enough information and if you haven't already, you can order military records from WWI forward with EVETRECS.  You must be able to print and fax the final page. There are significant delays with ordering. See notification below.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC has been closed and only completing emergency requests.  As of March 8, 2021, the NPRC entered into a phased expansion of our onsite workforce.  While we continue to increase our on-site staffing, we are still servicing requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter.  Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until we return to pre-COVID staffing levels.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.

Raymond Zawalski Wayfarer

Good morning Michelle,

I am Raymond Zawalski, the informal Labor Service Historian. I was born into the organization (My father was a Polish LS Member) and I worked in the organization until it was deactivated in 1992. Would it be possible to send me a copy of the documents you have? My listing for this unit does not exist, but there may be a missing link or something else happened. Please feel free to contact me. Maybe  we can find something

have a great day

Raymond

Kirsten Slifirski Newbie

Hi Raymond

I trust your family are recovering well.

Please find attached photos of my father Janusz (Jacek) Slifirski  (25/6/25 Brwynow, Poland--15/5/94 Melbourne, Australia). I have just learnt from his cousin in Warsaw that the two attached photos he is wearing the uniform of the Polish Guard.

Are you able to help me find out to which unit he was attached and for how long; any information on his role and share your thoughts on who else is in the photos and where they might have been taken?

He was in the Armia Krajowa (Koszta leg. 77) until the capitulation then

POW 103802

Lamsdorf Stammlager 344  Arrival ~ 6 October 1944  Transfer ???

Moosburg Stamlager VIIA   Arrival??? --29 April 1945 liberated by the American army then

British Military Hospital (105?) April-June 45

(Bruges, De Haan, Knocke de Zut convalescence depot)

Paris, France June-August 45

Brussels, Belgium 1945-1949

Fallingbostel IRO Sept--Oct 1950

Australia 1951

He also travelled to Italy and England and Poland in this period.

Thank you so much

Kind regards,

Kirsten Slifirski