1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 21, 2021 10:31 AM by Eric Kilgore

Seeking records about USS Sable

Matthew Dalluge Newbie

I am looking for information about the USS Sable and it's activities off of Grand Traverse Bay during 1943. I am seeking notes and logs from the USS Sable (IX-81) particularly about the TDN Drones that were tested in August 1943. I'm a diver in Michigan who's wanting to locate one of the aircraft lost and possibly dive on it if it's in shallow enough waters and document the wreckage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Seeking records about USS Sable
          Eric Kilgore Adventurer

Dear Matthew Dalluge,

Thank you for posting your question to History Hub!

As you are probably aware, the Sable and the Wolverine were part of the 9th Naval District Carrier Qualification Training Unit (CQTU), Naval Air Station Glenview.   I think the path that would be the most fruitful for your  research would be the Navy Deck Logs for the USS Sable, as well as those from Naval Air Station Glenview, Illinois.  NARA is in the process of digitizing the Navy Deck Logs, however, the online catalog ( https://www.archives.gov/research/military/logbooks/navy-online#g ) doesn't reflect that the Sable and Wolverine have been digitized yet.    To learn more about these records, please see A History of Naval Deck Logs.

Questions about Navy deck logs may be asked here on History Hub or emailed to the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) at Archives2reference@nara.gov. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

Thank you for your question and best of luck on your research!