1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 20, 2021 1:00 PM by Jenette Parish

How do I find out if my grandfather was in the navy?

Tabitha Henderson Newbie

Can someone plz tell me if there is a way for me to find out if my grandfather was in the Navy?

• Re: How do I find out if my grandfather was in the navy?
          Jenette Parish Adventurer

Hello Ms. Henderson,

Thank you for posting your question on the History Hub.  Here are a few links below to research your military ancestor.

Introduction to Military Records Research

National Archives Genealogy

Know your Records on YouTube.

Tips to use Ancestry.com

NARA - Types of available Navy Records

You may search for your military ancestors on the census records on familysearch.org for free after you create a login account. The family search wiki page is great to search genealogy information. Search the wiki for your state or Navy to find excellent genealogy links. Vital records are held by each state, not by the National Archives   

Ancestry.com and fold3.com are subscriptions but they also contain military records. You may have free access at your local library. Please call ahead to make sure they have access. There may be online access as well.

After you find enough information, you may order military records from WWI forward with EVETRECS. There are significant delays with ordering. See notification below.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC has been closed and only completing emergency requests.  As of March 8, 2021, the NPRC entered into a phased expansion of our onsite workforce.  While we continue to increase our on-site staffing, we are still servicing requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter.  Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until we return to pre-COVID staffing levels.

I hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research.