2 Replies Latest reply on Apr 20, 2021 2:06 PM by Jenette Parish

    Seeking photos of Blackhawk crash in South Korea

    Elizabeth Zurawski Newbie

      How do I obtain photos from a Air Force Blackhawk helicopter crash in South Korea on October 6, 1994? My husband was killed in this crash and his parents still believe he is in a POW camp somewhere.  I need to get photographs to show that he was indeed killed.  They are getting older in age and this haunts them.  I want to give them peace. How do I obtain these photos?  The crash took place on October 6 1994, 38 miles outside of Osan Air Base. All five crew members were killed. I received the accident investigation which showed two photos but nothing regarding the crew.


      How do I obtain autopsy photos of my husband? I know he had autopsy done at Travis Air Force Base a few days later. I have written to the VA with no help.  So I am going to try here and hoping somebody knows how to help me.

        • Re: Seeking photos of Blackhawk crash in South Korea
          Eric Kilgore Adventurer

          Dear Elizabeth Zurawski,


          I'm truly sorry for your loss,


          If you haven't done so already, you may want to request a complete copy of your husband's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) as it may contain some of the information/photographs you are trying to obtain.  These records are in the custody of the National Personnel Record Center in St. Louis.  You can do so here: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records .  Be sure to request "All documents/photos in OMPF" and do not state the purpose for the request is "benefits."  If you state that the request is for benefits, they'll issue only documents  for that purpose.  Please note, due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, and our limited workforce, we are prioritizing requests from veterans and their families for medical emergencies, final military honors, and other essential benefits.  Currently, there is a substantial backlog of routine requests, in addition to the emergency requests awaiting response.  While it is still unknown how soon we will able to resume responding to routine requests,  the National Personnel Record Center is working hard and taking an aggressive approach to decreasing response times and eliminating the backlog.


          I would also check Record Group 330 (Records of the Office of the Secretary of Defense) https://catalog.archives.gov/id/137867585 .  for any photos of the incident that the National Archives may have. 


          Finally, if you haven't done so, you could contact Air Force Mortuary Affairs Operations to inquire directly about an autopsy report.  https://www.mortuary.af.mil/


          I wish you the very best in your research. 




          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RRPO (The National Archives at St. Louis). We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.



          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking photos of Blackhawk crash in South Korea
            Jenette Parish Adventurer

            Hello Ms. Zurawski,


            Thank you for posting your question on the History Hub regarding Blackhawk images. In addition to the information previously posted, you can contact our Still Pictures division by email stillpix@nara.gov to see if they have any relative images. They will be able to connect you with image resources.


            You may search the NARA catalog for images. You can also contact the archivist at College Park to request information at archives2reference@nara.gov. When emailing the archivist, please include details with dates, etc.


            For all military records from WWI forward, you may order the records online with EVETRECS. You have to be the individual or related to order an individual's military record.  There are significant delays with ordering. See notification below.



            Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC has been closed and only completing emergency requests.  As of March 8, 2021, the NPRC entered into a phased expansion of our onsite workforce.  While we continue to increase our on-site staffing, we are still servicing requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter.  Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until we return to pre-COVID staffing levels.


            Best of luck with your research.

            1 person found this helpful