1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 16, 2021 11:47 AM by Josette Schluter

    Looking for Grandfather's WWII Navy records

    Brian Bachor Newbie

      FWIW, I already submitted an online request for his records through the National Archives in December, but I wanted to see if there are additional avenues to pursue.


      My grandfather was William John Byrne, born in Milwaukee, WI on March 6, 1921. He served as an Aviation Machinist Mate in the Navy from 1942-1946. We know that he served at a Naval Air Station somewhere in Oregon, but we don't know which one specifically. I have his SSN, which I can provide privately if it would help. I found his draft card via Ancestry.com, which I have attached.


      That's all I got! I emailed the Tillamook Air Museum in Oregon to see if they happen to have any info, and they said they don't, but they told me this website is a good resource.


      He would have turned 100 this year, and in his honor I am planning on building a historically accurate radio controlled model of an airplane he would have worked on. So I want to find out the specific units he served in, and the aircraft that would have served in those units, and then build my model in an authentic livery.


      My grandfather spawned my love of aviation and all things mechanical when I was a kid, so I would be deeply appreciative if someone could help me out. Thanks a lot!

        • Re: Looking for Grandfather's WWII Navy records
          Josette Schluter Scout

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub.


          Yes, the first step would be to request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) which you have done online. You may want to check the status of your request and you can do this by either email through NPRC Customer Service Center at mpr.status@nara.gov or on the following page https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records .  There is helpful button at the bottom of the page that you can click to check the status of your request.


          Using his OMPF you will be able to identify which locations he served at, what units he was assigned to and then begin research on those locations and units. To seek organizational records, you may post a follow-up question here on History Hub or by emailing archives2reference@nara.gov .


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NPRC has been closed and only completing emergency requests. As of March 8, 2021, the NPRC entered into a phased expansion of our onsite workforce. While we continue to increase our on-site staffing, we are still servicing requests associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until we return to pre-COVID staffing. We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope that this has been helpful. Best of luck with your research.