3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2021 1:57 PM by Jenny Sweeney

Philippine-American War veterans, volunteer soldiers and enlisted

Harry Tate Newbie

I am researching a family story that has been passed down through our family over the years.  I have been told that my grandfather served in the Philippine-American War.  William Dawson Tate born 13 Oct 1885 in Tracy City, Tennessee and died 5 Aug 1955 in Turlock, CA.  Math tells me that he would have been 15 to 16 years old if he indeed served during this time.  I am an Ancestry researcher and I examined the 1900 federal census and found that he does not show up with his parents and 3 younger siblings in the census.  In the 1930 federal census there is a section that asks if you are a veteran and William Dawson answers yes and it also asks which war and the abbreviation (Phil) shows up to this answer.  If he actually served he would have had to lie about his age, I assume, and that is why I am thinking he could have been with the voluntary soldiers that went to the Philippines.  From what I have been able to see on the National Archives I need to examine the Microfilm Publication M872 which is the index to compiled service records of voluntary soldiers in the Philippine-American War.  Also, I would like to examine Microfilm M871.  I sent this request to the National Archives but have not received a response, but there was an auto reply which suggested History Hub.

The big question is how would I go about obtaining copies of this microfilm.  Can I request copies or do I have to go to a location to view it?

• Re: Philippine-American War veterans, volunteer soldiers and enlisted
          Jenny Sweeney Newbie

Dear Mr. Tate,

You can find information on how to purchase digitized copies of microfilm here.  You should be able to purchase one roll or the whole publication for M871 and M872. 

If you visit the Microfilm Catalog you can download the information sheet on the specific microfilm publication in order to see what roll(s) you might be interested in purchasing. Follow the below instructions:

1.  Click "Microfilm."

2.  In the top search box type "M872" and click search.

3.  Under Publication Title click on "Index to Compiled Service Records of Volunteer Soldiers who Served During the Phillipine Insurrection."

4. On the right hand side under Publication Details you will see a pdf file titled:  View Important Publication Details.  This pdf will provide you with information on the specific microfilm publication and direct you to the microfilm roll(s) you are interested in. 

Currently, the National Archives and Records Administration has suspended reproduction and digitization services until further notice due to COVID-19. Any orders placed will not be serviced until such time that operations can resume safely; a number of product options have been temporarily disabled. We apologize for any inconvenience. Once operations resume your document reproduction request will be serviced in the order it was received. Customer service representatives are available to answer questions regarding orders currently in our system at: trustfundsupport@nara.gov.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you in your search!