1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 15, 2021 4:35 PM by Charles Miller

    Seeking records of father's employment at Edgewood Arsenal

    DeWayne Wickham Newbie

      My father registered for the draft in 1942. On his registration card his place of employment is listed as the Edgewood Arsenal Ordnance Department, in Edgewood, Maryland. He was a 20-year-old black male. How do I find records of his employment at Edgewood Arsenal?

        • Re: Seeking records of father's employment at Edgewood Arsenal
          Charles Miller Adventurer

          Dear DeWayne Wickham,


          Thank you for contacting History Hub.


          Official Military Personnel files (OMPF) are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis, MO. Below is a GSA Standard Form 180 which you should complete and mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          LINK TO SF-180: https://www.archives.gov/files/research/order/standard-form-180.pdf


          For a complete copy of a personnel file, in Section II, on the line for "Other" (Specify), write "Complete copy of every page of personnel file - not an extract."


          For information regarding access to medical records please visit http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/military-personnel/public/general-public-clinical.html. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. If there is any information requested that you do not know, you may leave it blank or provide estimates, however the more details you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file.


          For more information concerning our military holdings please visit http://www.archives.gov/research/military/veterans/.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RRPO (The National Archives at St. Louis). Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck in your research.


          Charles Miller