1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 14, 2021 12:00 PM by Jenny Sweeney

    Looking for military records of P. Rivera Nieves

    Milca Marietti Newbie

      Hello, I hope you all are well during these difficult times. I’ve been looking for my husband’s Record since 1975, and it’s been extremely difficult. I’m 74 years old and I’m not very versatile with the internet, so I may need a bit of extra guidance, on where to look or how to look things up.
      I would really like to accomplish this, would someone be able to help me?

      • P. Rivera Nieves entered service in 1955, Sampson Air Force Base in Geneva, NY as part of Unit/Division 3662 2nd Balmitraron on January 19, 1955 and was a Cryptographer (CRYPTO) for secret sensitive information.
      • Sampson Air Force Base (1950-1956) built 1942 & named after rear admiral William T. Sampson, was established in 1950 at Seneca lake, Seneca County, New York. As a former naval training station for World War II, it re-open on November 1950 as a training base for the Air Force during the Korean War. It was closed in 1956. The base may have been built & maintained with Asbestos-containing materials until the late 1970’s.
      • In 1956 he was Based in Warren Air Force Base in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
      • 1957 he was sent to Scott Air Force Base in Belleville, Illinois.
      • 1957 he was sent to Gifu Air Force Base in Japan.

      Airman Rivera Nieves in uniform (dated around 1955-1959)

        • Re: Looking for military records of P. Rivera Nieves
          Jenny Sweeney Wayfarer

          Dear Ms. Marietti,


          Thank you for posting your inquiry on History Hub!


          What year was Mr. Nieves distcharged from service?  Assuming that it was after 1958, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and before October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.



          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from NPRC (National Personnel Records Center). Also, NPRC will continue servicing requests ONLY associated with medical treatments, burials, and homeless veterans seeking admittance to a homeless shelter. If your request is urgent, please see Emergency Requests and Deadlines. Please refrain from submitting non-emergency requests such as replacement medals, administrative corrections, or records research until NPRC returns to pre-COVID staffing levels. Please check archives.gov/veterans for updates to the NPRC operating hours and status. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We hope this information assists you with your request!